Monday, December 28, 2009

A creature was stirring, and it was a mouse

We decided to enjoy a lunch out after going to Toy R Us at Chili's. We had an unused gift card so the lunch would have been free. I had a bad feeling about the place from the get-go. The sign was janky with lights not working. The floor in the entrance was sticky and smelly. They were using paper napkins bought from a local grocery store. That only signified the chaos and disorganization of the restaurant. We sat down to eat sanitizing our hands and table as we do at every restaurant (especially during flu season) and proceeded to order. It took a while for the food to get to us. About half way through the meal, a meal that did not taste good, I looked over my left shoulder and saw a mouse scurrying past us as if someone had just shewed it away and it was trying escape the ridicule that was just hurled at him. Believe it or not, I calmly say to my husband "I just saw a mouse!" Meanwhile my heart rate is 100 and my legs are up on the seat and I wanted to scream which is the appropriate response to seeing a mouse in the dining area. I tell the waitress, who has a very subdued response saying "oh, I will let the manager know". The manager strolls over and hands me a form. I proceed to tell him what I saw and where it came from. His response was "oh, it must have come from the kitchen". "Do you have a lot of mice" I say. He smirks. I reply with "that must mean yes". "Well, we have been competing with the restaurant behind us. As soon as we get rid of them, they get 'em. Then they get rid of 'em and we get 'em. Here is a form that we have people fill out" he says. "For rodent control services" I say. "Well, sort of, they will send you a gift card, and I will buy your meal today!" he concludes.  We will never go to that restaurant again or the neighboring "mouse-sharing" one either.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you didn't scream. Amazing self control. Glad to see you are enjoying being back in the big city. You are definitely a big city kind of girl. Enjoy your adventures.

    ReplyDelete